Monday, June 3, 2013

Palm to Forehead Moment

I would like to introduce you to a new section of my blog where I will be giving out an award called the "Mental Palm to Forehead Award". I don't actually smack my forehead with my palm, but in my head I'm definitely doing it.

The following conversation takes place at least 1-3 times a week, and at least 5-10 times per wedding I do.


Person-So you're a photographer?
me- yeah, I am!
Person- my son/brother/niece/step-sister in law/dog is a photographer.
me- neat-o. I love my job.
person- So what do you actually do?
me-...... I'm a photographer. I even went to school and have a degree in it.
person- Oh, my son/brother/niece/step-sister in law/dog has a real job too.
me- Photography is my real job. I'm currently also trying to get on with a good studio or start shooting commercially for a company as well.
person- Oh! Like at walmart, Sears, or kiddie Kandids?
Me- Those aren't exactly real studios. In fact Kiddie Kandids and Sears both went out of business and I hear the Walmart ones are as well... I was talking about a full working studio where the photographers have previous experience and do professional work.
person- I don't know of any of those. Do you want to see some pictures of flowers my son/brother/niece/step-sister in law/dog took?
me- *Mental palm to forehead moment*

That type of conversation is real. Sometimes though instead of them trying to show me flowers, they show me trees or badly edited baby pictures with some sort of filter that creates a neon haze that makes me physically ill.

I'm a misunderstood photographer. I blame this on too many people who falsely use the term "photographer" for a term I call "I own a camera".

In other news I still can't find my sticky note of my awkward stories. Next time, I'm going to make this list on my phone. I still forget that my new phone can do this. That probably deserves a palm to forehead award too.

Also, my new phone takes pictures. I'm definitely not a great iPhone photographer, but I did get this gem at church yesterday. Going to church if you live close to BYU means you go to church on campus. Which is even more bizarre than going to church last year in the institute building. Because on top of sitting in desks you also have fantastic educational posters and fliers like this one along with the smell of chlorine from the pool. Also, there was a mannequin guy showing all of the muscular system in the room. Church in the health sciences {at least I believe that's what the building is} building can be a bit distracting.


But I really do love this poster. There were a lot of anti smoking posters in the room. Does BYU have a problem with smoking? I honestly didn't think they do. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment