Wednesday, October 16, 2013

And that's how I embarrassed myself in front of Elder Oaks

There's pretty much not a week that goes by that I don't have at least 1 photo shoot in Salt Lake. {I don't want to talk about how much I spend on gas a week #photographerproblems} Last Friday I was shooting a wedding at the Salt Lake Temple and it was seriously such a beautiful day, a perfect couple, perfect weather, and delicious warm light. I was leaving from the parking garage headed to their reception {that also was perfection} and in front of me was a white car. The white car leaves the garage and I do right after it. When I got out of the parking garage I switched to the left lane and the white car that was in front of me is now directly to my right. We were both stopped at a red light and I glance over to my right and I notice that Dallin H. Oaks is the driver. 
When I see my friends in this situation I totally wave. And not even thinking about it at all I started waving dork-ily. {is that a word?} You know, because he's my 'friend'.... Well when I realized how odd I was being, naturally I become even weirder. So now my wave was not normal... And I'm sure my face looked like a tomato. It was at this point that I realized a few things. First- He has no idea who I am. Second-We are not friends in real life. Third-I love grandpas. Fourth-The light had been green for a few seconds and the mean lady behind me clearly had no idea I was having a moment with Elder Oaks and started honking.

He saw the frantic hand movements and looked directly at me and smiled really big {probably finding me humorous} and waved back. And it wasn't even a 'this is really awkward but I have to wave back because what else am I to do' kind of wave. It was a really sincere smile and wave. 

If he ever uses this story in General Conference I'll consider myself famous. 

And that's how I embarrassed myself in front of  became friends with Elder Oaks.

3 comments:

  1. That is excellent. I shook Elder Oaks' hand once after a BYU devotional a long time ago. He was really kind. I'm sure they all are though and they probably realize that they have semi-celeb status, especially in Utah. :) Way to make a new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Ha ha I had a similarly embarrassing experience with President Uchtdorf at BYU last year! Good thing God's men really have the true love of Christ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh... that's embarassing! hahahaha this post made my day. When we lived in Salt Lake, I once ran down the presiding bishop at the time, Bishop Burton, in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, thinking he was someone from my ward, to ask him where the RS meeting was being held... and didn't realize until moments after who he actually was. And once Ryan and I were on a corner across from temple square, and I realized the man next to us (we were waiting to cross) was Elder Perry... He asked us where we were headed, we told him, and Ryan turned to him and said, "your voice sounds familiar, do I know you?" I wanted to die. hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete