Monday, November 19, 2012

My take on the feminist movement.

So yesterday, I watched the movie Brave for the first time. Definitely not the greatest animated movie. The discussion there after got me thinking about what I feel about the feminist movement. Not like I get bombarded with it enough at school or anything....

I kind of wish I had some sort of project or essay that I had to write that this topic would fit so I could {'cause I don't have too much free time} research it better and write it more eloquently.

First, the movie. Here's the just-
Girl is a tom boy {totally fine, nothing wrong with it}. She didn't want to act like a princess. Her parents wanted to find her a husband. {kinda creepy 'cause she's like 15.} So these 3 guys come to win her love and they shoot at a target. They're not that good, so she shows them she doesn't need a man and that she's better. {Granted she's 15, but still, it's a movie, and not realistic.} She runs away 'cause she wants to be independent. The men fight each other for her, she turns her mom into a bear, she tells the men she's not interested, mom and daughter make up. They live happily ever after. She probably dies single. {okay, I don't know that.}


I honestly believe that the feminist movement hurts both women and men. Yes, I do believe in equality. That women should be paid the same, have the same rights, etc. But, I also believe that men and women are inherently different. Men are naturally better at things than woman, Women are naturally better at things than men are. This is not a bad thing! It's wonderful that our Father in Heaven created us differently. To bring the best out in each other. To compliment each other.

1 Corintheans 11:11- "Nevertheless, neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the lord."

We're better together. It's a part of the plan. It's not something that needs debate. We're not meant to be competing for who's better and I feel like true feminists don't just want equality, they feel they're superior to men. This is not true. Just the same that men are not superior than women.

I feel like gender roll reversal is confusing people. A lot of people don't agree with gender rolls, and to a point I don't either. Not like they used to be back in the day when woman really were thought to be lesser, but, I think for the most part, this isn't the case anymore. Most men {at least good men} don't think of women as their slaves and puppets.

If a woman wants to have a big career and what not, more power to her. She should be able to choose for herself. I just don't understand why any woman would choose having a career over a family. At the end of the day, how much money you make, what kind of car you drive, how expensive your clothes are, how big your house is will not bring you real joy. It's going to be the relationships you develop in this life- your family, your spouse, your children, your friends.

Yes, you can have both, but at what cost?

Children are said to learn the most of their core values from their home. Not from their school or friends. But, if they don't learn them first in the home, then they will learn them from others. I wouldn't want my children to these things from someone other than me and my husband. If you aren't in the home, and your children are in day care or somewhere else, you don't really have control over what they will learn and be taught is right.

Here are a few quotes from prophets and apostles that I've heard, read, and found.


"Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels."


"You [sisters] belong to the great sorority of Saviorhood. You may not hold the priesthood. Men are different, men have to have something given to them to make the saviors of men, but not mothers, not women. You are born with an inherent right, an inherent authority, to be the saviors of human souls. You are co-creators with God of his children. Therefore, it is expected of you by a right divine that you will be the saviors and the regenerating force in the lives of God's children here upon the earth."
--Elder Matthew Cowley

"She is a co-partner with God in bringing His spirit children into the world. What a glorious concept! No greater honor could be given. With this honor comes the tremendous responsibility of living and caring for those children so they might learn their duty as citizens and what they must do to return to their Heavenly Father... A mother has far greater influence on her children than anyone else has, and she must realize that every word she speaks, every act, every response, her attitude, even her appearance and manner of dress, affect the lives of her children and the whole family."
--President N. Eldon Tanner

 "I wonder if we shouted for joy at least in part because of the ennobling stature He gave us in His kingdom. The world won’t tell you that, but the Spirit will."
--Sister Sheri Dew

"You rock a sobbing child without wondering if today’s world is passing you by, because you know you hold tomorrow tightly in your arms."
--Elder Neal A. Maxwell.

"I surely know that there is no role in life more essential and more eternal than that of motherhood."
--Elder Russell M. Ballard


 "There is no greater joy than the joy that comes of happy children in good families."

I  don't think there's any job that would be more rewarding or good that would make it worth it to have the career rather than being a wife and mother.

Here's my final thoughts- I don't want woman to take over the roles of men because I don't want the slots full so men end up having to take over the rolls women used to. I feel like men are becoming more feminine and women are becoming more masculine. I personally just don't agree with it.

I want to marry a manly man, not a feminine man. I want the guy I marry to want me to be feminine, not masculine. To encourage each other to become better people and to work on our talents and what we love.

So, to re-state, I don't think women are lesser than men. I think we're equal, but I know we're also different. That's how we were made. It's a part of the plan. Don't fight against it, embrace it.

I'm happy to be a woman. I'm grateful to have grown up being taught by my parents the values I hold strong too. I'm grateful for wonderful women in my life like my mom and grandmas that have shown me and taught me what I have come to believe for myself.

So many people around me in nearly every area of this University try to make me think that because I'm not a hard core feminist that I'm doing women an injustice.

I kind of feel like I was born to be a Mormon woman during this day and age. Heavenly Father seriously sent me to the right place at the right time. He knows what he's doing.


I know a lot of people have very very strong opinions about the feminist and women's rights movements and I seriously don't mean to cause debate or ruffle feathers, but just to share my opinion and why I believe what I do. This stuff I've just told you about is a pretty big part of myself and what I hope to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment